NOVEMBER 1, 2022
This season, you can catch Kaufman Music Center 2022-23 Artist-in-Residence Aaron Diehl in Merkin Hall, where the acclaimed pianist will perform preludes by Roland Hanna and J.S. Bach on November 18 and join violinist-composer Curtis Stewart along with Harlem Quartet and Mazz Swift for a premiere of new music on June 1 as part of the Ecstatic Music series. Off stage, you can find him with our students, coaching jazz musicians and leading talks and masterclasses on careers in music and the performance practice of Black composers.
In October, Aaron shared his top five things young musicians should know during a career talk with the student musicians at our Special Music School High School:
- In an ensemble, listen to yourself last. Focus on what others are playing first.
- Listen to unfamiliar artists as well as the ones you know and like. Explore the full spectrum and see what you can take from even the ones you don’t like.
- Listen to albums from beginning to end to experience the stories the artists are telling. Stay present and engaged rather than skipping around.
- Present yourself creatively as you get your career going and create your own performance opportunities. Be hungry musically and put yourself out there!
- If you work hard and have enough dedication and passion for music, it won’t just feed your own individual souls, it will feed others.
Learn more about the 2022-23 Artists-in-Residence, who also include Harlem Quartet and VOCES8.